Infenitismal thirst for Culture

I think that in todays day and age we have an infenitismal desire to reach into our deepest core and taste everything around us. Russia, wears its past on its sleeve and to many is a beloved country of sour past, tumultuous present and a multifaceted future. I wanted to explore this city ever since I was a kid, not so much now, that I am an adult. You ever dream of experiences such as the way a rich, tsar used to eat? Or wander into the streets of Moscow like a lost wanderer and see the St. Petersburg church in the Red Square? Or maybe eat some Russian black caviar? Like I talked about in one of my previous posts. Bread symbolizes so much in Russia, like so much for real. Fertility, hospitality, warmth, survival, well-being. One Russian tradition is for its guests to be treated with bread and salt or sometimes decorated with an extravagantly karavai loaf. Or there is the black bread called Borodinsky which tastes of coriander and molasses mixed together and is unlike anything in the world when is toasted and smeared with fresh butter- and in another hint of bread's importance, in Russia you can view the rye bread rations in a museum that they provided in the Nazi Blockade that killed over half a million Leningraders. That is a superb fact! Mental, don't you think so? Russian food tastefuly craddles a tradition that is grounded in cold-weather! Russians know how to pickle and brine their way through any winter, and while the oily, cured herring tastes too salty at first, it soon melts into any potato dish they serve it with, for your enjoyment and satisfaction. I used to have a Russian friend, and writing this piece for my blog reminded that they used to eat bowls of porridge in the morning. I couldn't believe their food eccentricities at first, and the huge amount of honey, for real, like slabs of freaking drying honey, one of them I still remember was a sweet golden brown, ambrosia color from bees that feed on flowering buckwheat. It tasted like the bowls of nutty buckwheat, they joked. I do think that I am falling in love all over again with this culture. I love watching Netflix documentaries where they portray foods about this country, I highly, highly recommend it to ya friends, and Bon apetit! <3


Comments