China is the birthplace of tea.

Most of you think that India is the birthplace of tea right? India, right away, elephants, camels & ginger and spices come to my mind's eye. YOga and the chakras. Nope, is just a myth. I'm sorry to break it to you, but as mythical as it sounds, it gets better. China, only produces 10 % of its tea. Yet, it is the number one producer of unusual teas, leave it to the Chinese for unusual weirdness in terms of cooking. They produce at least 60 % of the world teas, roughly. Most are green teas. The island of Taiwan consumes most of its green tea locally, however they do export a variety of high quality tea. I don't know if you've been in my blog before but I  know all about this topic, check my other posts about tea and related things for an instant tall glass of refreshing water. Some say variety is the spice if life right? I think, we would be doomed if there was no spice in our daily life, the mundane would just feel, like that exactly, as it sounds to you, mundane, and boring right? Indians did not drink any tea whatsoever until white British people colonized them, how is that for a little bit of fact? Most Indian teas are black and interestingly the tea production is only at 35 % in India. Britain, colonized our Indian friends, the dots, not the feathers. And then they started drinking tea in their rituals and ceremonies. Originally, as it was expected this was only available to the wealthy, I assure you I used to think tea was boring but trust me it is a world filled with wonderful things. It was priced at nothing less than $100 per pound, again this was back in 1610! This is mental! I don't even consider paying less than $3.00 for a cup of tea, and I think that is still a lot, I much prefer to brew it at home, while it's brewing I can browse through my Netflix since I have a monthly subscription and bask in the aroma & the ambience this long, lived beverage  has brought to us and it will continue to do so for many, many years. <3

Comments